Re: Wading My Way through the Wrox Book-- have a few questions

From: Tom Sheehan <tomas(at)csi(dot)com>
To: PgSQL Novice ML <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Wading My Way through the Wrox Book-- have a few questions
Date: 2002-12-31 17:34:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

Cheryl,

1.) The server must be running for you to access the database.

2-3.) I've had good luck with "PostgreSQL", "Developer's Handbook", written
by Getschwinde, Schonig, published by Sams publishing. The discussion of
cygnus limited.

In case you haven't seen them, there are a couple of web sites listed that
may be of value to you listed in the text.
http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/ (new release 12/25/02)
http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/.

The Sams text also talks about installing as a service:
ipc-daemon --install-as-service

And starting the daemon as follows:
net start ipc-daemon # NT/2000

I don't know much about cygnus, but it looks like the "net start" commands
should work in a startup batch. (in or called from autoexec.bat) From
there, I believe you would switch to more normal postgresql procedures.

Are you having more trouble with cygnus or with postgresql, or can you tell?

Tom Sheehan