Re: using functions to generate custom error messages

From: "Reshat Sabiq" <sabiq(at)purdue(dot)edu>
To: "'Rod Kreisler'" <rod(at)23net(dot)net>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using functions to generate custom error messages
Date: 2002-11-17 05:56:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks Rod,

I certainly find it a must to use such features as referential integrity
(even it costs a little), transaction support, custom objects, etc.
which make postgreSQL stand apart from mySQL, etc. Such standard
features as value checks, which I believe can be ported quite easily
also don't arouse my doubts.
I guess features that don't port well across DBs are stored procedures
and consequently triggers. Those are the things I am referring to. For
example, if we need to increment a field by a certain value once in
every 2 weeks, would you suggest using stored procedures to accomplish
it, or app logic? And in general, when would you say it's worth to use
stored procedures?

Thanks,
r.