Re: BUG #15661: Error connecting to the server

From: "Guy Rouillier" <guy(dot)rouillier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: youssef(dot)zrirak(at)yazaki-europe(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15661: Error connecting to the server
Date: 2019-03-01 05:52:38
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2/28/2019 3:42:19 AM, "PG Bug reporting form"
<noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

>The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>Bug reference: 15661
>Logged by: ZRIRAK YOUSSEF
>Email address: youssef(dot)zrirak(at)yazaki-europe(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 9.4.0
>Operating system: windows server 2012 R2
>
>Hello
>we had faced many type this type of message ( Error connecting to the server
>:Fatal: too many clients already )
>
>could you please support in this subject
>
>Many thanks

Check your postgresql.conf configuration file. Specifically, look at
the section headed "CONNECTIONS AND AUTHENTICATION". Default
max_connections = 100. You provide no information to go on regarding
your environment, other than your server being Windows Server 2012, so
we don't know what type of clients you are using. The default value is
typically enough; if you are exceeding that on a regular basis, chances
are your clients are failing to release their connections when finished.
You *could* just increase your max_connections value, but without
understanding your client environment, this is not a good general
solution. Each client connection consumes resources, so you don't want
to just blindly allow a large number of connections. Ideally, you'd
like your clients to connect just long enough to execute a business
transaction and then immediately disconnect; connection pools allow this
to be done efficiently.

--
Guy Rouillier