Re: BUG #15335: Documentation is wrong about archive_command and existing files

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Phil Endecott <spam_from_pgsql_lists(at)chezphil(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15335: Documentation is wrong about archive_command and existing files
Date: 2018-08-19 00:09:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Phil Endecott <
spam_from_pgsql_lists(at)chezphil(dot)org> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Jeff Janes wrote:
>
>> The possibilities are endless, and an example cannot cover all of them
>> while still usefully serving as an example. There are canned systems for
>> handling this more thoroughly, and you should look into using one of them.
>>

> Do you believe that the docs should point this out?
>
> Currently there are about 18,000 words of what appears to be very
> thorough documentation about implementing replication, yet they
> do not refer the reader to tools like pgBackRest. When I post
> about the issues that I have had, the overwhelming view of the
> mailing lists is that pgBackRest is essential - yet this important
> advice is not conveyed to new users of this feature who are relying
> on the official documentation.

I think it might be a good idea to propose use of a canned solution, but I
don't know how the community would feel about mentioning specific projects
by name. And if we didn't mention any by name, I think it would be pretty
awkward to advise to give.

Cheers,

Jeff