Re: BUG #16203: So difficult to set an use postgres

From: Reyna Melara <remabarca(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16203: So difficult to set an use postgres
Date: 2020-01-25 00:07:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Thank you for your response.

I understand I need to be more specific, I have

Admissions=# \dt
Listado de relaciones
Esquema | Nombre | Tipo | Dueño
---------+---------+-------+----------
public | apply | tabla | postgres
public | college | tabla | postgres
public | student | tabla | postgres
(3 filas)

SELECT sID, sName, GPA FROM Student WHERE GPA > 3.6;
ERROR: no existe la relación «student»
LÍNEA 1: SELECT sID, sName, GPA FROM Student WHERE GPA > 3.6;

and I have read it may be because of the Schema Search Path as
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/ddl-schemas.html documents.

But I just can't try any Select statement without *unqualified names*

El vie., 10 ene. 2020 a las 14:28, Tomas Vondra (<
tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>) escribió:

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 07:38:21PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
> >The following bug has been logged on the website:
> >
> >Bug reference: 16203
> >Logged by: Reyna Melara
> >Email address: remabarca(at)gmail(dot)com
> >PostgreSQL version: 11.0
> >Operating system: Debian Jessie
> >
> >Hi, I've trying for several hours to set, configure and use postgres in
> >any of my debian operating systems. It seems it has been installed
> >properly but then when I wanted to use PgAdmin it keep telling me it
> >could not establish the connection, in my laptop also with debian it
> >was not possible to use any pgAdmin not 3 nor 4. I have followed the
> >instructions form the official page and t possible.
> >
> >Now that In my PC could finally use postgres and also pgAdmin I can't
> >use unqualified names, I have to use the public schema or my own
> >schemas with qualified names, I have also followed the manual
> >instructions and it it not possible, it keep telling me that my
> >relations does not exists. Maybe the instructions are for so much more
> >specialized users, but I can tell that there is a big group of students
> >that sometimes can't find the instructions easy, specially when we are
> >not Windows users.
> >

> I'm sure improvements to our docs are possible, but I very much doubt
> a vague report like this qualifies as a bug.
>
> It's really difficult to give you any advice if you don't tell us what
> exactly have you been doing - which packages have you installed, what
> commands have you tried running, which instructions have you been
> following, what error messages you got, etc.
>
> I'd suggest subscribing to pgsql-general and asking questions there,
> there's plenty of users who'll happily help you. And of course, if you
> have concrete examples of parts of the documentation that are not
> detailed enough, please point them out and we'll try improving them.
>

> regards
>
> --
> Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Saludos cordiales, Reyna Melara.