Re: BUG #15605: Unstable regression test "tablespace"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15605: Unstable regression test "tablespace"
Date: 2019-01-23 14:53:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

=?utf-8?q?PG_Bug_reporting_form?= <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> When running 'TESTS="$(printf "tablespace %.0s" `seq 1000`)" make
> check-tests' I get:
> It seems that the following query in src/test/regress/sql/tablespace.sql:
> SELECT relname, spcname FROM pg_catalog.pg_tablespace t, pg_catalog.pg_class c
> where c.reltablespace = t.oid AND c.relname LIKE 'part%_idx';
> needs an "ORDER BY".

I'm totally unexcited by this. Almost every script in our standard
regression suite is somewhat context-dependent, eg many of them depend
on tables or other objects created by previous scripts. Trying to make
them be robust when run standalone would be a huge and ultimately pretty
pointless exercise.

In the case of the tablespace script, it evidently has some dependency on
being run in a fresh database, but so what? It always will be, when used
as directed. (I do not recall the reason why we run it first, but
I remember that there was some good reason, possibly to do with crash
recovery.)