Re: BUG #16203: So difficult to set an use postgres

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: remabarca(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16203: So difficult to set an use postgres
Date: 2020-01-10 20:28:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 07:38:21PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>The following bug has been logged on the website:
>
>Bug reference: 16203
>Logged by: Reyna Melara
>Email address: remabarca(at)gmail(dot)com
>PostgreSQL version: 11.0
>Operating system: Debian Jessie
>
>Hi, I've trying for several hours to set, configure and use postgres in
>any of my debian operating systems. It seems it has been installed
>properly but then when I wanted to use PgAdmin it keep telling me it
>could not establish the connection, in my laptop also with debian it
>was not possible to use any pgAdmin not 3 nor 4. I have followed the
>instructions form the official page and t possible.
>
>Now that In my PC could finally use postgres and also pgAdmin I can't
>use unqualified names, I have to use the public schema or my own
>schemas with qualified names, I have also followed the manual
>instructions and it it not possible, it keep telling me that my
>relations does not exists. Maybe the instructions are for so much more
>specialized users, but I can tell that there is a big group of students
>that sometimes can't find the instructions easy, specially when we are
>not Windows users.

I'm sure improvements to our docs are possible, but I very much doubt
a vague report like this qualifies as a bug.

It's really difficult to give you any advice if you don't tell us what
exactly have you been doing - which packages have you installed, what
commands have you tried running, which instructions have you been
following, what error messages you got, etc.

I'd suggest subscribing to pgsql-general and asking questions there,
there's plenty of users who'll happily help you. And of course, if you
have concrete examples of parts of the documentation that are not
detailed enough, please point them out and we'll try improving them.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com