Re: BUG #15964: vacuumdb.c:187:10: error: use of undeclared identifier 'FD_SETSIZE'

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, jungleboogie0(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #15964: vacuumdb.c:187:10: error: use of undeclared identifier 'FD_SETSIZE'
Date: 2019-08-21 14:16:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2019-Aug-21, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 09:49:54AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Well, it's a user-facing error, so I'd rather make it user-friendly.
> > It doesn't seem difficult, or unreliable enough not to try.
>
> Still, in this case, because of the nature of FD_SETSIZE the hint may
> finish by being wrong, no? I am not sure that it is worth going this
> way.

Theoretically it is possible that we give a wrong hint, but I think it's
hardly a practical reality. I'd rather give the hint and tell the user
what a reasonable parameter might be. If they run under a different
environment (I dunno, they use shell invocation line with other
redirections I guess), then they might get a different hint next time.
So what?

I guess the other possibility is that there exists an operating system
that returns file descriptors higher than its FD_SETSIZE, when some fds
below FD_SETSIZE are still available. Doesn't seem realistic.