Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bee(dot)Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16531: listen_addresses wide open?
Date: 2020-07-08 21:57:00
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Bee.Lists" <bee(dot)lists(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> BTW I’m not part of the bugs mailing list. Didn’t know it would be posted there.

Please keep the list cc'd, anyway, for the archives' sake.
(For the record, that website form just posts to the bugs list.)

>> On Jul 8, 2020, at 12:24 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Just to be sure, "show listen_addresses" actually shows that,
>> and not something else?

> I didn’t check, but then changed it to ‘*’ since troubleshooting these connection issues I’m having.

Well, my point here is that you didn't close the loop to establish that
what you thought you'd set listen_addresses to had actually taken effect.
The default value is 'localhost', and there are several ways that that
might still be the active value even if you'd edited the config file to
say something else.

> The issue was that it WAS connecting when set to the LAN IP4 address only.

That's pretty hard to believe; I think a configuration oversight is
a much more likely explanation.