RES: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

From: "Alejandro Michelin Salomon" <amichelin(at)x-sistemas(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "'Jimbo1'" <jamestheboarder(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RES: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-03-22 21:19:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi James :

I am mysql user for 5 years. An a this time i am trying to go out from
mysql.

What i am living mysql?
Becouse my php bases systems require some features that mysql is
inplementing in the vercion 5.0, like store procedures and functions,
trrigers, transaction, views, and some others features.
Dou you now how to lock a counter table to users have no access to this
table mysql ?

Table two field, identerprise and counter

Mysql, to lock write, you have to lock entire table for write.

LOCK TABLES co_nro_notas WRITE.

SELECT counter
FROM co_nro_notas
WHERE identerprise = 1

Update co_nro_notas
SET counter = counter + 1

UNLOCK TABLES

This is a problem when do you have two or more enterprise runing in the same
database, an each with more than 10 users.

In postgresql each enterprise have your own record, and eachone can lock his
record.

You use a SELECT with a FOR UPDATE.

Try postgresql, is better than mysql.

I am dice to migrate all my systems to postgresql.

PD:

I try postgresql in 2002, but a this time postgresql does not have windows
vercion, this is the reason for use mysql,
have not other reason.

Alejandro M.S.
Porto Alegre
Brasil