Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind=?iso-8859-1?q?_Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL GENERAL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Revised Copyright: is this morepalatable?
Date: 2000-07-05 23:28:04
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck) writes:

> Trond Eivind=?iso-8859-1?q?_Glomsr=F8d?= wrote:
> > JanWieck(at)t-online(dot)de (Jan Wieck) writes:

> > > Now I don't want to ship the source code. My customer would
> > > be happy with a patched 8.2.3 binary as long as I'm
> > > responsible to patch future versions until I release the
> > > sources. Is that OK?
> >
> > You don't have to give the customer the source, as long as you
> > gurantee that he gets it (for cost of distribution) if he wants it.
>
> Wordy, but how can I prevent him to ask for?

By doing everything he wants (and perfect) so he doesn't have a need
for it?

Basically, GPL is intended to protect the end user and guaranteeing
him the source if he wants it - and that he can do what he wants to
with it, as long as he doesn't prevent others from doing so.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.