Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-28 17:49:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It would probably be better if the socket files weren't in /tmp but in
> a postgres-owned directory. However, at this point we have a huge
> backwards compatibility problem to overcome if we want to move the
> socket files.

Not to sound scheptical, but since when did postgresql care about
backwards compatiblity? Upgrading is already demanding a lot of
knowledge from the user (including needing such information, which
almost no other package do), this is just a minor change (the files
are mostly used by bundled tools - any exceptions?)

> There is an option in 7.1 to support defining a different directory
> for the socket files, but I doubt very many people will use it.

I intend to, for the RPMs we ship.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.