Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

From: teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=)
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Florent Guillaume <efgeor(at)noos(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Date: 2001-01-28 22:59:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> teg(at)redhat(dot)com (Trond Eivind =?iso-8859-1?q?Glomsr=F8d?=) writes:
> > Ideally, the locks should be in /var/lock/pgsql and the socket
> > somewhere else - like /var/lib/pgsql (our mysql packages do this, and
> > both of them are specified in /etc/my.cnf).

(note that you AFAIK (I don't use mysql much, I prefer postgresql) can
have multiple sections if you want want to have multiple backends
running.

> That is not "ideal", in fact it would break one of the specific features
> that UUNET asked us for.  Namely, to be able to have noninterfering
> sets of socket files in different explicitly-specified directories.
> If the lock files don't live where the sockets do, then this doesn't
> work.

I don't see why this must be so...

> > Explictly, yes. However, FHS says /tmp is for temporary files. Also,
> > it says programs shouldn't count on data to be stored there between
> > invocations. 10+ days isn't temporary...
>
> We aren't counting on data to be stored in /tmp "between invocations".

Between invocations of client programs. You're using /tmp as a shared
of stored data.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.