Re: Typed hstore proposal

From: "Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson" <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Typed hstore proposal
Date: 2011-12-22 08:07:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson
> <johann(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> I mean to create a typed hstore, called tstore for now.  I'm open
>> to name suggestions.  It'll only support a subset of core Postgres
>> types to begin with.  Keys are always text, it's the value that's
>> typed.

> JSON is the "thing of the day" that it would be desirable for this to
> be potent enough to represent, and JSON has the following types:
>
> 1. Number (in practice, FLOAT)
> 2. String (UTF-8)
> 3. Boolean (t/f)
> 4. Array (not necessarily of uniform type
> 5. Object (string key, JSON value pairs, unordered)
> 6. NULL
>
> #4 and #5 are obviously entirely more "hairy."

Not so much if I extend tstore to include itself.

Unless I'm mistaking the Object type. I'm not a user of JSON myself.
How are people likely to use it with it?

--
Johann Oskarsson http://www.2ndquadrant.com/ |[]
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training and Services --+--

Blog: http://my.opera.com/myrkraverk/blog/