Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
Cc: Lee Hachadoorian <lee(dot)hachadoorian(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Table Design for Hierarchical Data
Date: 2010-04-06 22:48:44
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net> wrote:

> Another is nested sets which performs quite nicely for loads which are more read than write (which I suspect is the case here).

Pg 9.0 has two new features are nice for both Nest set trees.
one is deferrable unique constraints.

While 8.4 has CTE's which are good for querying adjacency list tree,
we need to wait for write-able CTE's (maybe 9.1?) to preform all of
the possible tree modifications.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.