Large object reads/writes undergoing \\xxx escaping

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)laas(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large object reads/writes undergoing \\xxx escaping
Date: 2004-08-11 14:00:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi,

With recent PostgreSQL versions, I/O on large objects (via the
internal functions loread and lowrite) suffers \\xxx escaping, as per
the BYTEA type. For instance, newlines in the data passed to lowrite
are later read via loread as \\012.

I find this to be annoying (I don't see any reason for large object
data to go through any encoding whatsoever), and it doesn't seem to be
documented. Is it the intended behaviour?

[I am not using libpq; I see this using my own fe/be protocol
 implementation.]

--
Eric Marsden                          <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Warren W. Gay VE3WWGDate: 2004-08-13 04:16:03