large object I/O seeing \\xxx encoding with v3 protocol

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)laas(dot)fr>
To: PostgreSQL Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: large object I/O seeing \\xxx encoding with v3 protocol
Date: 2004-08-13 12:38:07
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

When using the v3 fe/be protocol, data read and written to large
objects via the loread and lowrite functions seems to be \\xxx
encoded, as per literal escaping or data for the BYTEA type. For
instance, newlines written using lowrite() are later received as
\\012.

[I am seeing this with my own implementation of the fe/be protocol;
I'm not using libpq.]

I find this behaviour to be unfortunate, because it differs from the
v2 protocol behaviour, and because I don't see any reason to encode
the binary data in large objects. Was this change intentional?

Thanks,

--
Eric Marsden <URL:http://www.laas.fr/~emarsden/>