Re: [INTERFACES] [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL

From: Eric Marsden <emarsden(at)mail(dot)dotcom(dot)fr>
To: hglawson(at)nr(dot)infi(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] [ANN] pg.el v0.2 -- Emacs Lisp interface to PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-07-21 14:18:20
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

  hl> I am asking a dumb question here, so please be patient. Does
  hl> this mean that given pg.el you have to write elisp functions in
  hl> order to make use of it?
  hl>
  hl> Is the "defun demo()" above an example of such a function?  If I
  hl> understand correct, to use pg.el, I would write an elisp function in
  hl> emacs and then evaluate it.  Have I got this right?

Hi Hugh,

That's right. demo is an example of the type of elisp a programmer
would write to access PostgreSQL from Emacs. You can also play around
with it interactively:

  ELISP> (setq conn (pg:connect "template1" "postgres" "postgres"))
  <struct cl ...>
  ELISP> (setq res (pg:exec conn "SELECT * from scshdemo WHERE a=42"))
  <struct cl ...>
  ELISP> (pg:result res :status)
  "SELECT"

etc

I intend to get together with someone else who has written some table
browsing stuff for Emacs to produce a browsing interface to PostgreSQL
for the end user, but I haven't had time yet.

--
Eric Marsden
It's elephants all the way down