Re: Function Hangs

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: ingram(at)samsix(dot)com, "Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher(at)macys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function Hangs
Date: 2002-02-13 21:17:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Patrick,

> > su -l postgres -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
> /usr/bin/postmaster -o "
> > -i" start >/dev/null 2>&1"
> >
> > would the name of the log file go where the /dev/null is?

Nope. Instead, right after the word "postmaster", insert:
-l /var/log/postgresql
.. or wherever you want to store the log. You should also make
provisions in CRON to clear the log periodically, or it will continue
to grow forever.

> Josh will answer anyway ( :) ), but this tripped me up too when I
> started.

Postgres Novice Help Desk, at your service! ;-)

> I know the idea is for it to be configured for ones own site,
> but it seems this is one of the first questions people who start
> with PG ask.

Yeah. I don't know why most Postgres startup scripts ignore the log
file. Every time I do a Postgres install, I have to alter the startup
script by hand.

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533