Re: "Hot Backups"

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Doug Silver <dsilver(at)quantified(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Hot Backups"
Date: 2002-02-12 21:43:10
Lists: pgsql-novice
Doug,

> Would an alternative be to log all transactions to a file at the same
>  time
> that you're making the call to the db?  I was thinking of
>  implementing
> that, but do you think it would be faster as a postgres function, or
> perhaps in the native language that's doing the front-end processing?
> would think it would be the latter, and perhaps you could just fork a
>  call
> to do just that.  In my case I'd do it in perl, since that's what
>  we're
> primarily using.
>
> While I agree with point #2, it is of little consolation if the
> information is for monetary transactions!
>
> Comments?

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't already done something like this.
  As the very least, I'm pretty sure that there is a Perl-based
 replication solution for PostgreSQL.

If there's not, I'd love to see you post your solution to /Contrib.  I
 think it's a great idea, and a quick-and-dirty solution to a problem
 for which the bulletproof solution would require significant capital.

For true, immediate 100% availability, I'd reccommend building two
 databases on two different machines and writing to both from
 middleware calls (like from Perl::DBI).

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com

pgsql-novice by date