Re: group by

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Ewald Geschwinde <webmaster(at)geschwinde(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: group by
Date: 2002-01-15 19:55:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
Ewald,

> select s1.channelname as channelname, s1.id as channelid,
> count(*) as anz from mgw_news n left join mgw_news_channels s1 on
> n.channelid = s1.id group by channelid, channelname order by channelid,
> channelname
>
> this runs under mysql and postgresql seems not to accept aliases in group by
>
> cause when i'm changing channelid to s1.id it works perfectly

I believe that the PostgreSQL behavior, i.e. not accepting the real names of
 columns that have been aliased, is the SQL92 standard behavior.  Certainly it
 prevents a certain confusion in the query parser in the case of multiple
 references to an aliased column.

In other words, I believe that the behavior you are observing is by design and
 is not a bug.  Please keep in mind that MySQL does *not* uphold the SQL92
 standard, so it cannot be used as an index of proper behavior.  So, change
 your GROUP BY reference.

However, the behavior you mention should certainly be mentioned in one or more
 of the porting articles at TechDocs ( http://techdocs.postgresql.org/ ).
  E-mail one of the authors if it's not.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com