Re: Import DB from DOS- dbase4

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Vijay Deval <deval(at)giaspn01(dot)vsnl(dot)net(dot)in>, "Fernando M(dot) Maresca" <fmaresca(at)monssa(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Import DB from DOS- dbase4
Date: 2001-12-21 16:37:00
Lists: pgsql-novice
Vijay,

> I have imported dBASEIV  tables into Postgresql. I exported the
> tables
> from dBASEIV as delimited text files and then copied in Postgresql.
> In
> some table I needed to drop a field that was to become sequence in
> Postgresql. Using gawk script I removed the column, converted the
> records into sql insert query and let Postgresql assign sequential
> numbers. Used gawk script once again. Now all new records get
> numbered
> automatically. If you are interested, I could send to you gawk and
> "C"
> scripts that I used .

Us folks in the PostgreSQL community would really, really appreciate it
if you put together all of the above as a text or HTML document, and
then submitted it to:
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/
Know-how like yours is exactly what we need on the site!
-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com