Re: 2 newbie questions

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Helen M Hudson" <helen(at)rttc(dot)co(dot)za>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2 newbie questions
Date: 2001-11-19 20:20:11
Lists: pgsql-novice
Helen,

First, go to TechDocs (http://techdocs.postgresql.org/).  There you will
find several articles and scripts for porting Access to PsotgreSQL.

Second, join pgsql-odbc mailing list, where you will find other users
running postgres with MS Access and VB front-ends.

> 1. I'm porting a clients database over from access(!).  In order not
> to have
> to tamper with the code, I need to rid myself of the oid column.  I
> have a
> workaround which involves editing the code, but I was just interested
> if the
> "getting rid of the oid column" was a possibility?

OID-less tables will become available in 7.2 (currently in beta).
However, as a developer who has one Access client app running on a
PostgreSQL back-end, I don't understand the problem that you are having
with OIDs.   They have not been a concern for me.

> 2. I have a date/time column in access... should this datatype be
> datetime
> in postgres... and how do i format the text to import it into the
> postgres
> file using copy?

Several valid date/time formats should work.  You'll have best luck with
the standard Unix format, that is "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" (i.e.
"2001-07-10 14:23:57").

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com