Re: It's dead and won't get up!!

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "KUCHARSKI, DAVID R(dot)" <dave(at)iemco(dot)com>, Francisco Reyes <lists(at)natserv(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: It's dead and won't get up!!
Date: 2001-11-09 00:21:28
Lists: pgsql-novice
David,

> thanks for all of the input everyone.  I believe you have helped lead
> me to the
> problem.  two days ago iI ran out of room on the partition.  Postgres
> was
> running at the time, but complaining about the fact that it was out
> of room.
> so in an effort to make more room I foolishly removed what I thought
> was a test
> db.  that was where postgres looks for its configuration info.  when
> postgres
> died today it wasn't able to find that info for the restart.  If it
> wouldn't
> have died for whatever reason today it would never have needed to
> locate those
> files.  I guess it's time to reload postgres.  Any suggestions aout
> how?

You deleted Template1?

Well, if you have a filesystem backup you can restore it that way.  Or,
if you have a database backup, you can re-install postgresql from
scratch, and restore that database from backup.

If you have no backups, then you are DOA.
Just as if you typed "rm -rf /* " with no backups.

-Josh

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com