Re: pgaccess/msaccess

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "G(dot)LeeJ" <G(dot)LeeJ(at)imyourhandiman(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgaccess/msaccess
Date: 2001-10-29 18:38:55
Lists: pgsql-novice
Lee,

> I know pgaccess is one of the nicest interfaces? for those converting
> over from say
> msaccess use but are there utilities that will convert? a msaccess
> database for use
> in pgaccess..if not is it much of a chore to do so....

PgAccess's interface building tools are not complete at this time, nor
are likely to be anytime soon that I know of.

Further, it's pretty much impossible to convert an MSAccess interace
directly into anything else.  Database Creations makes a tool that
converts MSAccess to Visual Basic, but not even that works 100% of the
the time.

The reccomended course of action, if you have an established MS Access
application, is to convert your data to a PostgreSQL database, and keep
your forms and interface code in MS Access, accessing PostgreSQL via
ODBC.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com