Re: GUID in postgres

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: <postgresql_sql(at)kaiserdigital(dot)com>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUID in postgres
Date: 2001-10-26 18:31:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Folks,

> I think most of you are missing the point here.
>
> GUIDs are unique and they are required for Enterprise development.

I don't know. I have yet to hear a persuasive argument as to why none
of the schemes previously mentioned would not work. While a "GUID"
automated by the RDBMS platform is convenient, it is by no means
necessary. Any number of approaches can be substituted.

For example, I have a system that requires middleware-level interaction
between 3 database servers. The main data tables in these databases all
have 2-column primary keys; one column for the (locally unique)
sequence, one column for the (globally unique) server ID. This scheme
fulfills all of the functionality that you describe, without the
overhead of complex random seed mechanisms or other proprietary
overhead. Also, any requests that are strictly local in nature need
only query the local id without worrying about the second column.

> Do a search for "multi master replication" and you should pick up
> some
> info on how to properly implement a GUID. The simplest approach is to
> use some combination of a sequence and the MAC address.

SO what happens if you swap out the network card?

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533