Re: Visual Database Design Tools

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Ben Statham <ben(at)acg(dot)ac(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visual Database Design Tools
Date: 2001-10-25 15:17:14
Lists: pgsql-novice
Andrew, Ben,

> > As a complete Novice, I'm looking for a visual design tool for
> Databases
> > to use with PostgreSQL.
> > Currently all of our development is done in Flemaker Pro, so I'm
> looking
> > for a tool to ease my developers
> > into SQL without jolting their world too much.
> >
> > Any info gratefully received.

On Windows: PgAdminII, available at http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/
On Linux/Unix: PgAccess, which installs with most PostgreSQL RPMs

However, keep in mind that you will need a seperate interface design
tool and language.  PostgreSQL is just the back-end, and while PgAccess
does have a TCL forms designer, it is neither complete nore stable.

If you are on Windows or Linux, and have a little cash, I reccomend one
of the following IDEs:

Java: JBuilder by Borland or Forte For Java by Sun
Best VB/MS Access Substitute: Kylix + Delphi, by Borland

You can also use Filemaker as the front-end to your PostgreSQL database
as of version 5.5

> We have recently been looking for a somewhat more high-end ER/BP
> modelling tool ourselves for managing database designs.  A reasonable
> interface to PostgreSQL has been one of the harder requirements to
> meet,
> but I think we have found one that did, which unfortunately didn't
> meet
> our other requirements - we haven't bought anything yet.

You might contact Action Target, Inc.  Their WyattERP PostgreSQL-based
CRM-building and modelling toolkit recently went commercial.  I don't
know whether or not the product is limited to CRM databases, though.

-Josh Berkus

                                       Josh Berkus
  Complete information technology      josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com