Re: Concatenating strings

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Fredrik Thunberg" <fredrik(at)datessa(dot)se>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Concatenating strings
Date: 2001-10-23 16:51:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Frederick,

> How do you add two strings in sql?

You use the ANSI SQL 92 standard concatination operator, ||

e.g. first_name || ' ' || last_name

> I have a name field in one of my tables and all the names are in
> uppercase
> (like "FREDRIK").
> I want to get the names in the usual format (First letter
> capitalized)
> "Fredrik". How
> do I do that?

Well, the good news is that someone has already written a function to do
what you want in one operation. see:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?functions-string.html

Ah, a former MS SQL Server user. Transact-SQL uses quite a few bits of
syntax which are *not* ANSI SQL 92 standard; the use of "+" for
concatination is one of them. It would pay for you to pick up an
introductory PostgreSQL book just to get a handle on the differences
(also, training in real SQL 92 syntax will help you with other
databases, such as Oracle or FrontBase).

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 2 bytes