Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Good/Bad RAID and SCSI controllers?
Date: 2002-12-11 21:49:20
Lists: pgsql-performance
Folks,

I am hoping to start a thread where users post their experiences with
various RAID  and SCSI controllers running Postgres.  When completed,
I'll post it somewhere on Techdocs with a big disclaimer. I'll start it
off:

MYLEX AcceleRAID 170:  Not supported under Linux 2.4 kernels.
  Performance under RAID 5 with 3 Maxtor UW SCSI disks good on read
operations (slightly better than a single SCSI disk) but on large write
operations poor, similar to low-end IDE disks in having disk-acccess
bottlenecks. Suspected in our installation of locking up on very large
simultaneous read/write operations, such as data tranformations on
tables over 1 million records. (cause of lockup not firmly determined
yet). (Josh Berkus 11/2002)

-Josh Berkus

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: Josh BerkusDate: 2002-12-11 21:53:38