Capping CPU usage?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Capping CPU usage?
Date: 2002-12-11 18:12:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Folks:

I had a new question from a client: is it possible to "cap" CPU usage
for PostgreSQL running on Linux? They don't care if the procedure
degrades Postgres performance, but they can't afford to have Postgres
take up more than 30% of processor for more than 400 milliseconds
(they
are running some real-time operations).

I can't imagine that postmaster could do this, but I thought it there
might be some kind of Linux Kernel CPU quota option I haven't heard
of.

-Josh Berkus