Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: geoff(at)pgsql(dot)com, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DRAFT: v7.3 Release Announcement
Date: 2002-10-27 18:50:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Geoff,

> As requested, I've put together a draft proposal for this
> announcement
> of the upcoming release.

Hmmm ... this release reads like a "We know you've never heard of
PostgreSQL before, so here's some great stuff about PostgreSQL, and by
the way, we have a new release." Which is OK if we believe that most
of our press targets are, in fact, completely ignorant of PostgreSQL.

I think, though, that we are most likely to get coverage from the
OS-freindly press, who *are* aware of PostgreSQL. Thues, we may want
to consider an approach that focuses more on the new release and less
on PostgreSQL as a whole. The PostgreSQL-as-a-whole stuff can be
linked on the PostgreSQL Advocacy Web Site, which is where we should
put most of the quotes, anyway.

We also need to explain about the new features:
a) Why this feature is important in plain english;
b) How this feature makes us equal to/better than other enterprise
databases
c) ... but craft the language to make sure that we don't imply that
PostgreSQL was somehow inferiour before.

Finally, we need a list of press contacts, with e-mail, phone, and
snail-mail addresses -- preferably one on each continent. And we
shouldn't link to the main postgreSQL site, with is *not* set up for
Press access.

-Josh Berkus

> [...]
> possible database for enterprise e-commerce."
> Fitcom srl, Italy
>
> "PostgreSQL provided sales.org with a solution that was
> $70,000
> less expensive to create, and over 70% lower in cost to operate and
> maintain than any of the commercial DBMS offerings we looked at."
> sales.org Inc., Toronto
>
> "PostgreSQL handles virtually all the standard SQL
> constructs.
> It is easy (relatively speaking) to administer, it is fast, it is
> efficient, it has a great API, and it supports ODBC, why would you
> choose something else?"
> Mohawk Software, Massachusetts
>
> "... selected PostgreSQL as one of the key components for their
> solution, relying on the power and extensibility of the database even
>
> under heavy load."
> Vanten, K.K., Tokyo
>

> Additions & improvements in Version 7.3 release include:
>
> SCHEMAS
> Schemas allow users to create objects in their own namespace
> so two people or applications can have tables with the same
> name. There is also a public schema for shared tables.
> Table/index creation can be restricted by removing
> permissions on the public schema
>
> Drop Column
> Now supports ALTER TABLE ... DROP COLUMN functionality.
>
> Table Functions
> Functions returning multiple rows and/or multiple columns are
> now much easier to use than before. The "table function" can
> be called in the SELECT FROM clause, treating its output like
> a table. Also, plpgsql functions can now return sets.
>
> Prepared Queries
> For performance, PostgreSQL now supports prepared queries.
>
> Dependency Tracking
> PostgreSQL now records object dependencies, which allows
> improvements in many areas.
>
> Privileges
> Functions & procedural languages now have privileges. People
> running these can take on the privileges of their creators.
>
> Multibyte/Locale
> Both multibyte and locale are now always enabled.
>
> Logging
> A variety of logging options have been enhanced.
>
> Interfaces
> A large number of interfaces have been moved to
> http://gborg.postgresql.org where they can be developed
> and released independently.
>
> Functions/Identifiers
> By default, functions can now take up to 32 parameters, and
> identifiers can be up to 63 bytes long.
>
> Along with many many more enhancements, bug fixes and
> performance related changes from v7.2 ...
>
> Source for this release is available on all mirrors under:
> /pub/source/v7.3
>
> More information on PostgreSQL is available on the project
> websites mirrored worldwide through:
> http://www.postgresql.org
>
> A complete list of changes in v7.3 can be found in the
> HISTORY
> file, included with the release, or available from all ftp mirrors

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533