Re: Postgres and Sybase

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Rob" <rob(at)jamwarehouse(dot)com>, <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres and Sybase
Date: 2002-10-24 16:54:23
Lists: pgsql-novice
Rob,

> Sorry guys, I realise that this is probably a stupid question to be
> asking,
> but I'm fast running out of options.
>
> I've got a  Sybase dump file and I was wondering if there is any way
> to read
> this into postgres?

What's a SyBase dump file look like?   It's been 5 years, I can't
really remember.

If it's text, we can probably bend COPY around to loading it.

It it's binary, you may be S.O.L.   TechDocs is down right now, but
look later at techdocs.postgresql.org to see if anyone has written a
Sybase-to-PostgreSQL converter.

Also, if you have a *running* Sybase database, conversion is a lot
easier ... you can use Perl::DBI to read directly from sybase to a COPY
file, and then load the COPY file into Postgres.

-Josh Berkus