Re: Big Picture

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Brad Paul <bpaul(at)carolina(dot)rr(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Big Picture
Date: 2002-10-15 16:19:10
Lists: pgsql-novice

Brad,

> So my real question is:
> What is the best way to make a generic front to a PostgreSQL
> database?
>
> Any suggestions on what to look into whould be of great help.

I can't help you further with Zope ... I haven't used it, I've just
heard a lot of good things about it.

Don't forget to check out PGAccess. If your interface needs are
simple, PGAccess may fulfill them. You'd want to learn Tcl, but that
is no more difficult than VB.
http://www.pgaccess.org/
... the other advantage to PGAccess is I can guarentee that you will
get a lot of support from the PGAccess user/developer community.

Also, OpenOffice.org can be used for very simple interfaces as well ...
its database tools are not up to the level of MS Access, but good
enough for simple forms and reports. However, OpenOffice.org currently
uses ODBC or JDBC to access Postgres, so you may be facing some of the
same problems you hit with MS Access. That will change when the native
drive is completed, but until then ...

HEY, LIST: Anybody else have a suggestion? Anybody? Bueller?

-Josh Berkus