Bug in Function-Transactions?

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bug in Function-Transactions?
Date: 2002-10-01 23:57:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Folks,

I just encountered a very interesting bug in ver 7.2.1.

As an experiment, I tried running a VACCUUM ANALYZE on a table inside a
Function after the function had made a large number of updates to that
table. I assumed that this wouldn't work, but I thought I'd give it a
try.

It did not work. What it did was interesting.

Postgres terminated my back-end connection to the server when it
reached the VACUUM statement.

Next, I reconnected. I was quite surprised to discover that Postgres
had *not* rolled back the changes made by the function before it
crashed.

I'm testing to see if I can reproduce this issue on 7.3b1. I'll
e-mail you with a test database if I can.

-Josh Berkus