Re: [SQL] Aggregates and Indexes

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: Adam Erickson <adamre(at)cox(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Aggregates and Indexes
Date: 2002-08-03 16:40:50
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Bruce,

> I have seen a few mentions in the past weeks about core vs. non-core
> developers. I should reiterate that the core group feels there is no
> distinction between the opinions of the core people and the other
> major
> developers. Everyone gets just one vote.

Which is why it's important that us peripheral developers make sure you
get the respect you deserve, since you're so un-assertive. <grin>

Why I often make a comment like that in my messages is that, as a
strictly *documentation* contributor, I often make mistaken assumptions
about why some things in Postgres work the way they do. Heck, even
when I'm right, I'm usually just parroting something you, Tom, or
Stephan have told me.

Or, to put it another way: given the number of questions I field on
this list, and the stuff I write for Techdocs and elsewhere, there is a
tendency from the public to assume that I am a "big wheel" in the
PostgreSQL project. Which I am not. I've been here for a while,
yes, but by no means do my contributions equal in scope, importance, or
dedication the contributions of you, Tom, Stephan, Peter, Thomas, Joe,
or two dozen other contributors whose names don't spring immediately to
mind.

Further, I do not consult with the PostgreSQL "global development team"
before mouthing off; my opinions are mine, not those of the postgresql
project.

Thus, the comment in so many of my e-mails of "I am not a core
developer."

Capisce?

-Josh Berkus