Re: skip weekends

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Rudi Starcevic <rudi(at)oasis(dot)net(dot)au>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: skip weekends
Date: 2002-06-21 19:37:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

Rudi,

> Nice reply Josh.
> I wouldn't call your solution 'ugly' at all.

Actually I posed te question, and Joe Conway offered the solution.
I'll be testing and reporting back.

> It's an excellent example of a real world need for Postgresql
> functions.
> I've also been looking at other functions at
> http://www.brasileiro.net/postgres/cookbook/.
> I noticed your name amongst the author's -- nice one -- keep up the
> good work.

Yes. Sadly, Roberto seems to have lost interest in PostgreSQL, so the
cookbook is frozen. <frown> For example, There's a couple of bugs in
name_alike I'd like to fix, but I can't correct them and Roberto
doesn't answer his e-mail. Anybody wanna take over the Cookbook?

> My only problem is trying to decide on whether to use PL/pgSQL or
> PLPerl.

Use them both. PL/Perl is better at text parsing, loops and arrays.
PL/pgSQL is faster for data operations. Use the best tool for the
job!

One thing I'd love to see is a generic address tokenizer, so that I can
write an "address_alike" function. My Perl isn't up to it.

Heck, a generic string tokenizer would be even more useful. Can a
PL/Perl function return an array?

-Josh