Re: installation problem -please help

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: nandalal(at)itmin(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installation problem -please help
Date: 2001-10-12 22:57:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nandalal,

> I am installing postgresql 7.0.3 again from scratch on my new PC. I
> have got
> stuck again at the the initdb step. I cannot   remember how I got it
> to run
> last time!! But it has been one  recurrent problem for me. I wonder
> why? I
> want a smooth installation :-)

Hmm. I haven't seen that particular one before.

First, how about you download the current version (7.1.3)? There are no
advantages to using 7.0.3, and quite a few disadvantages.

Then, after the initdb process errors out, check for that file and see
what permissions are on it. I'm also curious why anything is being done
in /root/tmp. Is your system set up so that /root/tmp is the general
temp directory? Was, perhaps, the postgres user set up with /root/ as a
home directory?

-Josh

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533