Re: Constraint problem

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Constraint problem
Date: 2002-05-17 04:40:59
Lists: pgsql-sql

Stephan,

> AFAIK we don't actually have statement triggers right now, anyway,
> but...
> Actually, I guess an after trigger that just checked the new values
> would
> work as well, right? See if there exists more than one row with the
> new
> key value. The after trigger should fire after all the changes are
> done
> and in the worst case you could use constraint triggers and
> deferment.
> The hard part about this really is making it work with concurrent
> modifications, and if you're willing to forgo that, it shouldn't be
> too
> bad.

Thanks. I'll give your solution a try and see what the performance hit
is.

Is the Unique Constraint issue on the To-Do list?

Chris: The "holding value" solution won't work for me. I'm usually
changing dozens of values at a time, and they need to stay in the same
sequence while blocks of them move on the scale.

FYI, I'm implementing Joe Celko's "Linear Nested Set Model" of tree
structures.

-Josh Berkus