Re: please advise on column data type

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "jack" <datactrl(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: please advise on column data type
Date: 2002-04-16 02:51:11
Lists: pgsql-sql

Jack,

Please post your questions to PGSQL-NOVICE in the future. That is the
more appropriate venue for your type of question. PGSQL-SQL is more
appropriate for advanced SQL questions and arguments about the SQL-92
standard.

> When I create a table can I always use the rule, use VARCHAR for all
> variable length string data and use CHAR for only fixed length string
> data.
> Or I have to consider if the column will be set as an index or
> primary key,
> it would be better to use CHAR for better performance.

In some databases, yes. However, in PostgreSQL, there is no
performance difference between CHAR, VARCHAR, and TEXT. So use what's
appropriate for the data being stored.

-Josh Berkus