Re: migration still a problem

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "P(dot) Jourdan" <pippo(at)videotron(dot)ca>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: migration still a problem
Date: 2002-04-14 18:25:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

Jourdan,

> 2. Your errors have something to do with users & permissions. Do you
> have any idea whether the file was created with pg_dump or
> pg_dumpall?
> This might be it. k
> Don't know. Doesn't the psql extention mean something, since
> pg_restore does not recognize it?

No. Extensions are completely optional on a UNIX system, and tell you
nothing about the file.

> I dont know what needs to be done here. I have the original username
> & password and one of the first errors when rebuilding is related to
> username. I am not clear on just how one is to set up a Postgressql
> superuser or what needs to be done to create the base database. I
> have no problem creating the database, but perhaps I need to do it as
> the username with password as originally used.

Next step: First, copy the original file in case your text editor
causes problems. Second, copy the, say, first 30 lines of the file and
post them with your next reply. That should be enough to tell if it's
a pg_dump or pg_dumpall file.

-Josh