Re: Simple SQL-syntax

From: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: <webmaster(at)robbyslaughter(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple SQL-syntax
Date: 2001-08-20 22:06:45
Lists: pgsql-sql

Robby,

> Do you know if, internally there's any difference between
>
> UPDATE A,B SET a.f1 = b.f1 WHERE a.i = b.i;
>
> -and-
>
> UPDATE A SET a.f1 = b.f2 FROM B WHERE a.i = b.i;
>
> Just wondering why the SQL standard would be broken in this
> case---and if there's any reason to learn this particular
> aspect of Postgres functionality....

Only if you want to use JOINS, sub-selects, and/or aliasing in your
UPDATE statement. For example, I have a table that caches subtotals of
its detail-level subtable:

UPDATE invoice SET invoice_total = total_of_items
FROM (SELECT invoice_id, sum(item_amount) FROM invoice_items) iit
WHERE iit.invoice_id = invoices.id;

-Josh Berkus

Josh Berkus
Complete information technology josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
and data management solutions (415) 565-7293
for law firms, small businesses fax 621-2533