Re: fallback_application_name and pgbench

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: fallback_application_name and pgbench
Date: 2010-04-07 09:16:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 10:21, Takahiro Itagaki
<itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> By default, the application_name of pgbench is "[unknown]". But I think
>> that pgbench should use fallback_application_name as psql, pg_dump,
>> etc does. Is it worth creating the patch?
>
> If we will take care of fallback_application_name for contrib modules,
> we need to fix not only "pgbench" but also "oid2name" and "dblink".
> I think those fixes would be worth; at least for telling third-party
> developers to handle the new parameter.

Uh, why fallback_application_name? Isn't this the *exact* usecase
where "application_name" should be used? At least for the two apps -
fallback_app_name might be correct for dblink.

And yes, I think it's a good idea to set it for at least pgbench and oid2name.

> It might be better to set fallback_application_name automatically
> in libpq, but it requires argv[0] away from main() function.
> GetModuleFilename() is available on Windows for the purpose,
> but I don't know what API is available on other platforms.

I think that's a pretty bad idea in general. But if we do, then it
should at least never override something that's specified - we need to
keep the ability for tools like psql and pgadmin to set it, regardless
of what they happen to have as argv[0].

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/