Re: Postgres not finding tables

From: Martin Tomes <martin(dot)tomes(at)controls(dot)eurotherm(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: James Hall <James(dot)Hall(at)RadioShack(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres not finding tables
Date: 2000-10-31 10:29:13
Lists: pgsql-general

James> Hello All, I have 2 identical machines running redhat 5.2 and
James> postgres 6.5. One machine is a replica of the other (backup).

James> Recently I noticed that postgres gives the error: "Couldn't find
James> any tables, sequences or indices!"

James> whenever I tried '\d' or '\d*' on one of the machines. BUT the
James> database DOES contain tables because I can execute 'select * from
James> testtable;' and postgres will display the table info.

James> The tables are there, but for some reason postgres can't see them
James> correctly.

James> Has anyone seen this before, if so any help is greatly appreciated!

I have seen this where I copied the files in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/mydb to
another machine. If you use pg_dump/psql -e to move the data it works. Both
my machines are running RH6.2, but I think one was PG 7.0 and the other was
7.0.2.

--
Martin Tomes

Martin(dot)Tomes(at)controls(dot)eurotherm(dot)co(dot)uk