Re: Simple search question

From: "John McKown" <newsuser(at)linux2(dot)johnmckown(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple search question
Date: 2000-06-15 18:17:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

Alex wrote in message <39487DD3(dot)7F2BBAE1(at)ihug(dot)com(dot)au>...
>Hi,
>
>> I had the same problem but was using Java, not PHP (I guess that
>> whatever I can do in JDBC, you can do in PHP ;-)).
>>
>> SELECT last_value FROM <sequence>;
>
>This brings me back to another unanswered question recently posted up,
maybe
>it is impossible...
>I declared a new table with one of the types as serial (which is really
just a
>sort of macro I believe, which automates the creation of a few things for
your
>convenience), which initialises the last_value of the relation (the
sequence
>itself), as 1. Therefore, upon INSERTing my first row, the serial number
began
>at 1, next was 2, then 3, and so forth.
> My question is, is it possible to alter the sequence last_value column, as
>I need the serial number to begin from 1000?
>Thanks,
>Alex

Nope, I tried doing an

UPDATE name-of-sequence SET last_value=200

and I got an error about not being able to update the sequence. However,
always being one to hit a brick until it cracks, I then tried:

DROP name-of-sequence;
CREATE name-of-sequence START 1000;

This seemed to work! When I then INSERTed a new tuple, the attribute defined
as SERIAL actually got the value of 1000. Curious, but nice.

John McKown (note - not! Jack, but John)