rs.getMetaData.getTableName always return empty string

From: nowind_lee <nowind_lee(at)qq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: rs.getMetaData.getTableName always return empty string
Date: 2012-02-12 10:17:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I've read some discussions before I write this post. I know that "rs.getMetaData.getTableName" always return empty string just because the developers think it should be alias name in the query, not the underlying table name, which is hard to implement, so it's best to leave it blank.

And also there is a "PGResultSetMetaData.getBaseTableName()" can be used to get the table name.

I understand this, but it make something very hard. Please see my question:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9247064/play2s-anorm-cant-work-on-postgresql

From the implementation of play's anorm framework, we know that most of other jdbc drivers all return the underlying table name in "rs.getMetaData.getTableName". It make the parse of result set of "join" query easily.

Since all other drivers have the same action, will postgresql driver do it too? I think return the underlying table name is much more useful than an empty string.