Re: reindexing

From: Lew <lew(at)lwsc(dot)ehost-services(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexing
Date: 2008-02-27 16:28:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> There never was a 7.1.4 release, so I suspect the OP meant 7.4.1
> .... not that that speaks very much better for his software maintenance
> habits. Even with the more charitable interpretation, it's a version
> that was obsoleted four years ago next week.

In my experience at various "big-iron" shops (government agencies, large
health-care organizations and the like), four years is not a long time for
enterprise software - a version often has to be at least four years old before
the powers-that-be decide to try it. One has only to look at how many
organizations still use Oracle 8, or Java 1.3, for example, to see how
conservative many shops are with respect to upgrades.

I'm not saying they should be that conservative, but many organizations are
and we must be ready to deal with that.

--
Lew