Re: SOLVED ... Re: Getting rid of a cursor from JDBC .... Re: [PERFORM] Re: HELP: How to tame the 8.3.x JDBC driver with a biq guery result set

From: Nikolas Everett <nik9000(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SOLVED ... Re: Getting rid of a cursor from JDBC .... Re: [PERFORM] Re: HELP: How to tame the 8.3.x JDBC driver with a biq guery result set
Date: 2010-04-20 19:57:18
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-performance

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 3:29 PM, Dave Crooke <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I wouldn't hold MySQL up to be a particularly good implmentation of
> anything, other than speed (MyISAM) and usability (the CLI) .... I find
> Oracle's JDBC implmentation to be both user friendly and (largely) standards
> compliant.

Dave,

I've been following along at home and agree with you right up until you
mention the MySQL CLI being usable. I work with the thing every day. The
plain, vanilla install on my Ubuntu laptop lacks proper readline support.
Hitting ctrl-c will sometimes kill the running query and sometimes kill the
CLI. Its far from a paragon of usability. That last time I used psql it
didn't have any of those issues.

Full disclosure: mysql does have proper readline support on a Centos
machine I have access to. ctrl-c still kills the shell.

Your other points are good though.

--Nik