Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views

From: Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: add_missing_from breaks existing views
Date: 2005-10-30 16:48:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 2005-10-30, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
> Actually I rather liked your solution, except that it probably doesn't do
> enough to get people off that setting as others want. Ie. I generally run
> with that setting on, but I certainly don't make views/rules/etc.. that rely
> on that setting. Still in your scenario, when upgrading to 8.1 I'd still end
> up with the setting on rather than the intended default of off.

You misunderstand.

My suggestion was to set add_missing_from _in the output of pg_dump_ (or
pg_restore) so that affected views would restore correctly. This would affect
only the session in which the dump was restored. The changes that were already
suggested (and since implemented, iiuc) would then make this unnecessary for
future dumps/restores, and there would be no question of setting
add_missing_from globally in the 8.1 database (unless the admin did that
explicitly, themselves).

--
Andrew, Supernews