Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi(at)nomad(dot)mishnet>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-09-30 15:54:50
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On 2004-07-28, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Here is another open PITR issue that I think will have to be addressed
> in 7.6. If you do a critical transaction, but do nothing else for eight
> hours, that critical transaction hasn't been archived yet. It is still
> sitting in pg_xlog until the WAL file fills.
>
> I think we will need to document this behavior and address it in some
> way in 7.6. We can't assume that we can send multiple copies of pg_xlog
> to the archive (partial and full ones) because we might be going to a

If a particular transaction is so important that it absolutely
positively needs to be archived offline for PITR, then why not just mark
it that way or allow for the application to trigger archival of this
critical REDO?

> tape drive. However, this is a non-intuitive behavior of our archiver.
> We might need to tell people to archive the most recent WAL file every
> minute to some other location or something.

[deletia]

--
Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||