Busy website switches from Oracle to Postgres

From: Mark Stosberg <mark(at)summersault(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Busy website switches from Oracle to Postgres
Date: 2004-09-18 03:03:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

I thought you all would be interested in this story:

http://www.1-800-save-a-pet.com/

has just completed a major re-launch.

As part of this, the site was migrated from the Oracle backend it had
used for the past few years to PostgreSQL.

Because the updated site was anticipated to be high traffic, we also
researched MySQL because of it's reputation for performance. Digging
deeper, it seemed that the "speed gap" between PostgreSQL and MySQL was
something of a myth. We chose PostgreSQL for it's features, reliability
and ease of use. During the development process, the advanced features
of Postgres were frequently useful, including transactions, referential
integrity, and complex query options.

Now that the site is has launched, I can say that it is meeting our
performance goals, with very little tuning of Postgres needing to be
done so far.

You will see that the primary search function includes a "waiting page".
This is primarily to display a message to the user, and not a technical
necessity. You can confirm this by clicking on a the second page of a
search result set, which will perform roughly the same query.

I've been very pleased with Postgres throughout the project. It's been
fast, stable and reliable.

Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/